New World Millennium Hong Kong Hotel embraces its responsibility to protect our planet and maintain environmental sustainability by implementing environmentally friendly practices and green initiatives in hotel operations.
ISO 14001 Certification
- Embarking on the implementation of Hong Kong’s first energy and water conservation programmes in 1992, the hotel has achieved ISO 14001 certification since 1999. ISO 14001 is a worldwide standard for Environmental Management System (EMS) of International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO)
- Compliance with ISO 14001 Environmental Management System (EMS) is proof of the hotel’s commitment to improve environmental performance, providing an independent and objective measure of the hotel’s effectiveness and achievement in continual environmental improvement through energy and waste management. An audit and inspection by an external, registered EMS auditor is conducted twice a year to ensure the hotel’s compliance with ISO 14001 regulatory requirements.
New World Millennium Hong Kong Hotel is at the forefront of carrying out green initiatives in the hotel industry in Hong Kong:
- Participation of Charter on External Lighting, where our hotel is committed to switching off part of the hotel’s LED external lightings earlier, at 11 p.m. nightly to minimise light nuisance and energy wastage
- Reducing energy consumption, such as the use of energy-efficient equipment like energy-saving lighting, application of CLP’s Meter Online (MOL) service to improve energy management, and the installation of water control devices
- Use of environmentally friendly paper and cleaning products
- Minimising solid waste by participating in a series of recycling programmes for, among others, paper, plastic bottles, glass containers, aluminium cans and used cooking oil, and donating food surplus and used soap from guestrooms to Foodlink Foundation and Soap Cycling respectively
- Preserving natural resources by encouraging guests to reuse guestroom linen and towels
- Minimising water pollution through close monitoring of the sewage treatment tank
- Establishment of an award scheme to acknowledge associates’ ideas for the continued conservation of energy and natural resources
- Certificate of Merit Award – Hotel and Recreational Clubs, 2015 Hong Kong Awards for Environmental Excellence